The Teacher Academy
About Teacher Academy
Students in The Teacher Academy begin by learning foundational skills to be successful in a classroom including developing relationships and creating community. Then, Teacher Academy students practice these skills in their community working alongside veteran teachers. Throughout the course you'll learn everything from lesson planning, to classroom management, to the different ways students learn.
Students in The Teacher Academy partner with mentor teachers in local school districts throughout Kent County as a student teacher in a variety of subjects, settings, and grade levels. You’ll also attend class at KCTC for ongoing training, support, and more. Successfully complete the program and you can be eligible for college credit and classroom paraprofessional job opportunities.
Please note - Unlike our other programs, students in Teacher Academy do NOT report to KCTC Monday through Friday. Instead, some days students report to their teaching placement to practice their skills. On other specified days they report to KCTC for more learning and collaboration with peers.
Be the difference in the life of a student and step into classrooms in a whole new way.
- Get actual classroom experience in a range of subjects, settings, and grade levels
- Learn from an experienced teacher in your school district to practice and hone your teaching skills
- Placement sites are throughout Kent County, often at your local school district and students do not need their own transportation to participate
- Develop classroom management, instructional planning, and instructional delivery through class time at KCTC collaborating with your peers
- Earn college credit and scholarship opportunities to accelerate your education
- Second-year students have the opportunity to work for Michigan Education Corps learning research-based interventions and can get paid for their placement hours
If you are interested in shaping the lives of the next generation of Michigan students, this program is for you!