Meet Our Instructors
Phone: 616-364-8421 ext. 3616
Hello! I'm Mr. Petz the 3D Modeling and Animation instructor. I was very excited to come to the Tech Center in the fall of 2016, after working in the field of 3D animation and visual effects for several years in addition to the IT industry for a railroad company. I really like sharing my media knowledge and artistic passion with students. I love watching them grow and develop in this field that can do such incredible things.
My background industry experience includes:
- Freelance artist
- Adjunct Instructor at Ferris State University in digital animation and game design
- Adjunct Instructor at Grand Rapids Community College
- 3D animation and VFX artist
- Work with Yeti CGI
- Owner of Kid Tales digital media company
- Published work accepted into Siggraph
- Published illustrator
- Communication/IT (railroad)
I also hold several degrees, certifications and licenses:
- Master's in Business Administration from Cornerstone University
- Bachelor's in Digital Animation and Game Design from Ferris State University
- Associates from Grand Rapids Community College
- Autodesk Certified 3ds Max User certificate
- Comptia A+ certificate
- Nuke (FXPHD) certificate
- FCC General Operators License
- Class A CDL License
There is often much excitement around 3D animation and game design, and it can be easy as a teacher to be passionate about helping the students discover their skills and potential. My true passion is guiding the students to use their newfound abilities to make a difference in the community.
My wonderful wife, Amy
Children: Ethan, Emma, Ava, and Samuel
Cats: Fuzz, Pedro, and Zoe.
Animation and Visual FX
Camping and traveling
Guitar and music
Running - Marathons and shorter distances
I play hockey!
Our favorite family spot each year is in Pentwater at the State Park.
Also - Czech Republic, Austria, and Germany for my Master's study
Favorite sports team
As a family, we enjoy the University of Michigan because of our daughter Ava
who spent time at the hospital with her congenital heart defects (CHD) and the Red Wings.
2005 Pro Jetski 1200 stock national champion and a 6th place at the World Finals.
I was on Good Morning America.
I had lunch with Prince William.
Hello! My name is Andrew Smith, the 3d instructor here at KCTC in the Digital Animation and game programming program. Both of my parents were teachers and coaches as I grew up. I consider myself a natural educator because of the time I spent with teachers and coaches throughout my life. During college and the first decade of my professional experience, I devoted myself to becoming a great 3d artist. I went on to work as a 3d artist in many different industries and even shipped a few AAA video games. I’m here because I love what I do and I want to share the excitement, knowledge, and passion for 3d modeling and game development with the youth of our community.
Industry Experience / Background
- University of Southern California, Institute for Creative Technologies - Technical Artist II - Military Simulations
- Ferris State University - Digital Animation and game Design 3D Instructor and Program Adviser
- University of Michigan 3D Lab - Interactive Imaging and Production Specialist
- Impulse Gear Inc. - Senior Character Artist - Farpoint, PS4/PSVR - Larcenauts, Oculus/Facebook Education Ferris State University - Grand Rapids, MI Bachelor’s of Applied Science Degree
I’ve been married to my amazing wife for 6 years and we recently welcomed our first child into the world in 2020 while living downtown in San Francisco. I’m an avid ice hockey fan and I’ve been playing ever since middle school. My favorite team is the Detroit Red Wings. I’m a big motorcycle enthusiast and former Harley Davidson owner. I’m hoping to find an opportunity to one day take an off-road adventure bike trip from Michigan to Alaska, but my wife is probably going to make me wait until our kid is an adult. More recently, I’ve grown a huge interest in macroeconomics and its relationship with emerging technologies like Web 3 and the Metaverse.