About Health Sciences Early College Academy
Get real healthcare experience and free college credit in actual healthcare settings! You could be on your way to becoming a geneticist, biomedical engineer, doctor or whatever healthcare career is right for you. If you'll be a high school junior or senior with a minimum 3.0 GPA and some math and science background, this could be just the program for you.
Biomedical Technology - GVSU's Cook-DeVos Center
- Dig into cell structure and function while working in a GVSU lab
- Isolate DNA and study new technologies in genetics using elecrophoresis
- Mutate, grow and study micro-organisms for pharmaceutical use
Diagnostic Healthcare Professions - Downtown Market
- Perform live blood draws
- Practice diagnostic tests using sonography and electrocardiograph equipment
- Perform microbiology to grow and study bacteria and learn about new suberbugs
Therapeutic Healthcare Professions - Downtown Market
- Check patient vital signs including blood pressure, pulse and respiration
- Develop a care plan for an actual patient by interacting with them and reviewing their chart
- Practice wound care and put casts on "patients," place and remove sutures and staples
Key Highlights for all Locations
- Enroll in college and participate in college coursework, while you're still in high school
- Earn up to 7 free college credits each year - up to 14 credits after two years!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What college courses are associated with the
Current course information can be found
on our program webpage.
How do direct credits transfer?
The Michigan Transfer Network is our
resource for how credits transfer from Ferris or GVSU
to other colleges. You can find a link on our webpage.
Where do Certified Nurse Assistants find jobs?
CNA's work in both long-term care (nursing homes) and
acute care (hospitals). In the hospital, a CNA position
is often called a patient care tech (PCT).
How can I get my phlebotomy certification?
Graduates of the Diagnostics program can apply for a
phlebotomy job without having certification. Once hired,
contact the program instructor for more information on
Have a question? Contact us
The Health Sciences Early College Academy program was featured on theMaranda Where You Live television show!