About Design Lab
Design Lab: STEM Career Exploration
Use your imagination and creativity to design solutions to real-world problems in this hands-on, technology-charged program just for 10th-grade students.
The class focuses on the relationship between science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and the design process. Major topics include electrical circuits, computer-aided design, woodworking, robotics, computer programing, and alternative energy. The goal of design lab is to use STEM concepts to solve problems. The class meets every day Monday through Friday for about 2 hours and 15 minutes.
Design Lab students tackle projects using design thinking. We partner with instructors right here at KCTC and industry professionals and to provide you the resources and tools you need to successfully solve problems and accomplish our class goals. By the end of the course, you will have had a wide range of experiences and opportunities which help to shape your future college and career choices.
Now Accepting Applications for Next Year
Please complete our online application at bit.ly/designlabapp
In order to apply, students must meet all of the following requirements:
- Design Lab is a 10th-grade only class; you must be in 10th grade to attend.
- Successfully complete Algebra 1 (C- / 70%, or better) before the start of Design Lab.
- Complete the online application and submit a signed copy to your high school counselor.
Applications are accepted anytime after December 1st. Preference is given to students who apply by March 15th.
There are six (6) essay questions on the application. It is highly recommended that you complete these in a word-processing document BEFORE beginning the application so you can complete the application in one sitting. The application cannot save your progress.
• Why are you interested in taking this course?
• Describe something you have created, designed, or built.
• Describe a time when you solved a difficult problem.
• Describe your experiences using technology to learn.
• After watching the video, how will you contribute to Design Lab?
• Please share anything else about yourself or your interests.
Once you complete the online application, a copy of your application will automatically be e-mailed to the e-mail addresses you provide. Please print and sign the application and have a parent/guardian sign it.
Then, bring it to your high school counselor. Your counselor will review your application and submit it to Kent Career Tech Center. Once KCTC gets your application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail stating your application was received and is complete.
If you are a home school student or do not attend a high school, you will need to make an appointment with the KCTC registrar to complete a separate Home School Application form. Please call the school at 616 364-8421 to schedule an appointment.
If you have any questions, please contact the instructor, Joe Phillips